Saturday, June 16, 2007

What is evangelism

Yesterday I played golf with a friend, a relatively new friend but friend none the less. For the sake of argument lets call him Jake. During our time together we talked about life and friends. We laughed, smoked cigars and missed some really easy putts. I shot a 77 by the way , not bad for a hack. We really talked about everything including the weather. I have been nurtured in a faith tradition that would put little value in this conversation unless you make the sell but I am leaning to the thought that perhaps this time together was of the utmost importence. I would guess that Jake has known very few "Christians" in fact he was visited by the Jehovah witness earlier that afternoon and asked if that is what all Christians were like. The point is that I experienced a Holy moment on the Golf Course. Even though we never once mentioned God or faith everything we talked about was spiritual.
It seems that we spend a lot of time in church looking for the next best thing, the next great program or thing that will get people in the door but perhaps the point is not getting people in the door but getting us ( the Church) outside of it. In my denomination we have a new new slogan, open hearts , open doors and open minds. It is catchy but probably not that true. As long as you come to us outside we will be those thing but I believe we need to be more of those things on the golf course or basketball court, coffee shop or local pub. The point is for us to be where the people are and to hear the message, we care about you not to make our thing bigger and better but because you are a fellow journeymen in this great adventure called life. I believe that it is possible for God to use those outside the church walls to speak to us a word from God. Church this is what I am really like. It is not about the songs or the words, the message or the nifty graphics we use, it is a bout relationship and listening to the story of someone who just needs to talk , no agenda no hidden plan, just being and hitting a little white ball around. Maybe I should do more church on the golf course. FORE !!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I am with you 100%. Thanks for your thoughts. I look forward to your future posts.