Monday, June 18, 2007

Something Funny..Kind of..

I love Chic Fillet probably without question the most enjoyable fast food experience in the world. First you have a perfectly done chicken sandwich not to greasy and seasoned to perfection, next you add the waffle fry. One of God's greatest creation. Who would have thought you could make art out of the potato. Then you have your choice of lemonade ( tart I might add) or the nectar of the gods Diet Dr Pepper. Lastly like a cherry on top they ( the people behind the counter) say "my pleasure". My pleasure, I am happy to serve you . I know they are forced to say it and severely reprimanded if not but what a great use of the English language. I feel like I want to give them my six bucks just because they appreciate me coming to their restaurant. They value my business or if not they make me think they do. Either way I am addicted and you get your food so quickly. It is a win , win.
You would not think saying My pleasure is not such a big deal but I am telling you for me it makes all of the difference in the world. I want to go back there , I want to take my family and our friends, if they would let my dog in. Do you see where I am going with this, I like feeling like I matter. That is what they do so well, they make you feel as if you matter. Often when I go to church I feel like that it does not matter if I am there or not. I don't feel welcomed or valued, I don't feel like people say we are really glad you are here. I think people , myself included are longing for that. To feel as if they matter , that for a brief second they are important to someone.
I long for the day the church is that way, a place that truly values people, The church becomes a place that cares if you are there or not and it is not because you give money but because you are a creation of God and therefore have infinite worth. What would church look like if on Sundays or Fridays or whenever there was a parade for your arrival, or maybe more simply every time someone said to you, "I am really glad you are here". I think it would go a long way.
I think it would help make church something you invited everyone to because you feel so invited, so welcome , so appreciated. Try it and see "my pleasure".

2 comments:

Chris said...

Good point. This requires that the church be secure in who it is (the gathered people of Jesus) and why it exists (to proclaim God's mighty acts of salvation in Jesus.) When there is such clarity, one can focus on the guest/visitor/regular attender because it is part of the DNA of that body.

It seems like the church, or at least churches I have been a part of, don't have this kind of understanding of themselves or clarity of purpose. Rather they have an "enclave - us-against-the-world" mentality. Which causes the people to be cautiously friendly to new folks.

Thanks for reflecting, Joe. Good food for thought!

Chris said...

p.s. Chik-fil-a rocks - i mean how could they not...they dress their classic sandwiches with those delicious little pickle slices... beautiful!