Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Power of Love

I just read this great quote from the legendary Hendrix that says
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace"
This just resonates with me because I know it to be true . When I think about my life and the different walls and barriers I have had in various relationships it usually comes down to a question of love. Maybe I should say the lack of love. I want to have my way and the constant tug of war that follows. In essence it comes down to not loving as I should and wanting the upper hand, the power. Personal relationships, the world it all works the same, when we are loving one another it works, when we are not it doesn't. I realize I sound like a 60's throw back but maybe that is what made Jesus' message so radical. Because he believed love could change the world, love that nurtured and cared for the lost and the sick but a love that calls for accountability and mutual respect. It was not a message of power but a message of giving up power, strong when you are weak sort of thing. It is completely upside down thinking perhaps that explains why I am so drawn to it. Better yet perhaps that is why it works in a crazy mixed up world. I realize that what I am sounds a bit adolescent but perhaps this message does not need to be complicated. In fact Jesus put it like this, love God and love your neighbor as yourself.
Simple and world changing. Imagine if......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.